The first step in getting started with VMPI is to understand how it works. The process allows merchants to seemlessly share information through VROL to the issuer, and involves the following steps:
1. Cardholder contacts issuer about a transaction they may dispute. Issuer access Visa Resolve Online (VROL) to identify the transaction
2. Visa checks to see if the merchant participates in Visa Merchant Purchase Inquiry.
3. VROL creates an XML message to send to the merchant with data elements the merchant can use to identify the transaction within their own internal databases.
4. Merchant identifies transaction and pulls key data elements
5. Merchant responds in near-real-time back to VROL
6. Visa shares enhanced data (and/or intent to credit account) with issuer, who then uses the data with the cardholder