- The customer selects their card and configures the controls the issuer has made available.
- A secure communication channel is established between the issuer’s mobile gateway and the Customer Rules API on the Visa Developer Platform. The PAN is encrypted in transmission.
- VTC verifies the account number is within the issuer’s prescribed BIN range and the application is authorized by the issuer. VTC then checks if a “document” already exists for this combination of account number and appID. If so, it returns the existing documentID; otherwise, VTC will create a new control document
Visa On-Behalf-Of Service Flow
- Merchant submits an authorization request (0100).
- Visa sees the account participates in VTC (via whitelist). Sends the authorization data to VTC for a decision. If the transaction violates a VTC setting, then it will be declined in STIP. NOTE: VTC rules are applied after all other Visa risk and processing rules are applied.
- Visa sends a decline response back to the merchant; and,
- Visa sends an Advice msg (120) to the issuer with new STIP Reason Code “9037” identifying the transaction as declined due to VTC settings. The issuer processor will have to update their authorization platform to accept this new value in an existing field.
- If the cardholder’s VTC setting indicates an alert should be triggered; then VTC will send the notification information to the issuer’s Notification Service for final delivery to the cardholder.
- The Notification Service will use the VTC information to identify the cardholder and to send the cardholder notification based on the customer’s communication preferences (SMS, email or Push-Notification).
Turn Your Card On or Off
At the touch of a button, cardholders can temporarily disable or enable the use of their card.
Manage Overseas Spend
Visa Transaction Controls allows cardholders the option to block international transactions when they are not traveling and / or allow purchases in select countries.
How Michigan State Uses Visa APIs
Michigan State University Federal Credit Union (MSUFCU) uses Mobile Location Confirmation and Visa Transaction Controls to provide its members with added fraud protection and the ability to lock and unlock their Visa cards through the MSUFCU mobile app.
How NAB Uses Visa APIs
National Australia Bank (NAB) provides a convenient, educational mobile app experience for travelers using Visa Transaction Controls, Travel Notification Services and Foreign Exchange Rates.
How Hanseatic Bank Uses VTC
Hanseatic Bank uses Visa Transaction Controls to offer new features that enhance the capabilities of their mobile banking app, including card blocking, transaction alerts and real-time balance information.